Purchasing the equipment to do it yourself, however, is:
Am I missing something here?
- Oil pan ~ $7-15
- Oil filter wrench ~ $10
- Funnel ~ $2-5
- Jack & Jack Stands or Ramps ~ $40-50
- Oil filter ~ $5-6
- Oil ~ $20-30
Yes, the hassle factor.
1. Driving to Jiffy Lube.
2. Having an appointment that turns out to be running late... or "first come, first served".
3. Pushing back on the upsells.
4. Waiting for the oil change to occur. (Bonus hassle factor: waiting room with a loud TV or screaming kids.)
5. "Um, yeah, Mr. Nords, we found a small problem during the oil change..."
6. Refer back to #3 until #5 stops happening.
7. Drive back home.
I don't know about you, but I can change my oil faster than the round trip to the oil-change place, let alone the waiting & debating time.
My time is also worth more than the $80 for the first four items on your list... especially when the equipment that I buy will last at least as long as the car.
Anyone who has a child over the age of 13 should be teaching them how to change the oil (under supervision) and placing them in charge of that job as long as they plan to drive Mom & Dad's vehicle...